As per my first skincare post on this blog, this post about Natural Deodorants has been a long time coming. I decided to put it to the test over a year without using antiperspirant deodorant and use natural deodorants. I tested three deodorants on the market today from three ranges of prices, sizes, and availability!
Things I was Looking For
– Good Price for the Amount of Product
– Availability for Restock
– Not including ingredients like aluminum, no antiperspirants allowed.
– Not including Baking Powder, which has aluminum – not making soda
What’s the big deal about Antiperspirants and Aluminum?
Antiperspirant is blocking your underarms from sweating, which may seem like a good thing right? WRONG! Your body is reacting to the stimuli aka the heat that may be doing a detox by sweating toxins out. The armpit is a lymph node that part of your immune system. It has been linked to breast cancer (click here, here ) but, there is still research being done to prove that claim. It’s still a bit scary so, better safe than sorry! Aluminum has been linked to cancer as well. Aluminum is found in Baking Powder, not Soda. Here is a good article here to read about that.
What other toxins does deodorant include?
Some may include endocrine disruptors and hormone disruptors that go by the names of Parabens, Phthalates and more. They can cause skin irritation, rashes, razor bumps, and possibly small tumors that were affected in the lymph node by the hormone disruptors.
This product comes in two forms, a stick, and a jar, and it is a great starter into the Natural Deodorant realm. It took me about 2-3 weeks for my skin to get used to this product but, 2-3 months of use to stop heavily sweating out the toxins in my body.
– Only has 7 ingredients: Organic Shea Butter, Non-Aluminum Baking Soda, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Beeswax, Organic Arrowroot Powder, Lavender Essential Oil, Non-GMO Vitamin E derived 100% from Sunflowers
– The product is quite large and there is much product still to be used
– It helped with the detox under my skin because it wasn’t harsh on my pits with the shea butter and lavender essential oil.
– Only had to use this product twice a day after wiping off the old product during the detox phase.
– After three months, this deodorant and my pits weren’t working well together to reduce the smelliness.
– I only found this product at Whole Foods after searching around a bit. It’s available on Amazon as well.
– The pricing is around $10.27 for a stick and a jar is $9.63 on Amazon
– The stick uses this bulky plastic design but, it’s BPA-free.
Alba Botanica’s Deodorant s placed in a stick form and pretty easy to use. After my body was used to its new routine, I began switching out deodorants for the testing. This product I picked up for my testing was easily purchased at Target.
– Very small and easy to carry around
– Got this product at Target.
– Drys Clear
– The ingredients list includes Glycerin, Aqua (water), sodium stearate, steareth-100, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, camellia oleifera leaf extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, panax ginseng root extract, usnea barbata (lichen) extract, Bisabolol, ethylhexylglycerin, glyceryl stearate, oleic acid, sodium bicarbonate, sodium chloride, stearic acid, stearyl alcohol.
– It includes alcohol and products that I have no clue about.
– I had to use this product three times a day since it wasn’t giving my skin the help it needed.
– It’s not descriptive enough in the ingredients to understand what the customer may be using.
– Not pricing is kinda of expensive for the size.
Alba Botanica Clear Aloe Vera Unscented Doeodorant
$12.88 USD on Amazon
3. Meow Meow Tweet Deodorant In Lavender Bergamont
This product is my favorite out of the bunch. It’s vegan and uses fair trade with certified organic ingredients. It’s Aluminum-free (with the use of Bob’s Red Mill) sourcing. It’s owned by a small company that possibly why the pricing is so high with the products that they use.
– Small Sizing, using
– Comes in a stick form that uses biodegradable packing
– Comes in a creamy form in a stick or jar that is easy to spread
– Smells amazing, and I only have to use it once per day
– The ingredients list includes *helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, *maranta esculenta (arrowroot) powder, magnesium hydroxide, *+theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, *+butyrospermum parkii (shea) fruit butter, Helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed wax, sodium bicarbonate, *Lavandula Angustifolia (lavender) oil, citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot FCF) peel oil, *Cymbopogon flexuosus (lemongrass) oil, *Mentha piperita (peppermint) oil. (all * are certified organic and all + are fair trade products)
– Very expensive for the amount of product available. It’s $26 USD for 3 oz. I found my 1.8 oz stick at Target for a clearance price of $9.
What can you do to fast forward the detox process?
You can do Indian Healing Clay Masks under your pits for 10 minutes to reduce and draw out all the toxins. Make sure you clean under your pits every night to remove the old product and moisturizing your pits overnight.
Out of all the deodorants I have tested, my favorite is Meow Meow Tweet. It’s vegan, a small business owned and I only had to use it once per day! It tested well against the Atlanta and Savannah weather from cold to super hot.