The perfect smell of fragrance can change your whole day. From the first spray in the morning to walking down the street, fragrance can change your mood. It can make you feel better after a long day. It even smells amazing as you dance around to our playlist. To us, the fragrance is the first step into true luxury. If you are looking for new black-owned perfume brands to try, look no further than here.
Maya Njie Perfumes
This perfume brand is from the vision of the perfumer, Maya Njie. Originally from Sweden, Maya moved to London and began to experiment with the medium of fragrance after she graduated from the University of Arts London. Her perfumes are fun, sweet, and feminine with notes like Pulpy Fig, Citrusy Magnolia, Coconut, Citrus, and Pineapple. Their products are available in-store at Liberty London, Muse Experience (NYC), The Conran Shop, and online at her website.
This brand is one of the hottest clean beauty brands out right now. It was created by Briana Arps, a former Refinery29 editor turned marketer and perfumer. Their signature fragrance is the Worthy Dry Perfume Oil which contains zero alcohol, dies or water as a clean beauty fragrance brand. This fragrance has the notes of white tea, orange blossom, red rose, lavender, dry musk, and more. The brand’s products are available on its website or Credo Beauty.
This brand takes pride in making their perfumes in small batches to receive great quality scents. It was designed by the perfumer, Jamie Wadsworth, who wanted to create artisanal fragrances that did not compromise the wearer’s health. All the fragrances are clean beauty as a vegan formula with zero phthalates or parabens. The brand has four signature fragrances to choose from like Signature, Interlude, Play Nice and Wonder. Their products are available on their website and Detroit’s Eastern Market (check brand’s Instagram for details on visits).
MYSA FRAGRANCE HAUS
Welcome to the ultimate fragrance boutique by the licensed esthetican and perfumer, Brie. Her signature blends come in dry oils, body shimmers, perfume sprays, body souffles and more. Over 38 different products in her store alone, there are so many products to choose from. We recommend trying her best selling, Perfume Oil Discovery Kit, to test out her signature scents. Her products are available on her website and her boutique in PA.
Savoir Faire Fragrances
This perfume company provides bold and sensual perfumes by the perfumer Chris Classic. Originally from NYC, he moved to Atlanta, and created his perfumes. The line offers three fragrances, Beau Noir, Soul Cafe, and Signature Scent. If you are looking for scents that have musks, woods, and leather, this is the line for you. Their products are available online at Savoir Faire Fragrances.
World of Chris Collins
This brand is from the visionary perfume designer Chris Collins. He created a world of scents and pleasure with through notes like Vanilla, Cinnamon, and Musk into his Dark Romance collection. Mysterious and full of sensorial pleasure to the senses. His products are available in-store at Bergdorf Goodman in NYC, Ron Robinson in California, Jovoy in London, Paris, Doha, and Dubai, and online on his website.
Pink MahoHany Fragrances
This brand is created by the perfumer, Chavalia, who is based in Texas. She created her perfume line in 2005 on Etsy that showcases her experience with notes like Pineapple and Sugar to give you a sweet but sensual experience. A niche line that will have everyone ask ‘where did you get that?’ You can purchase her fragrances online at her Etsy shop.
Out of all these fragrances, you support a Black perfumer. Black Perfumers are rare to be seen in the fragrance industry. It was a struggle for us to find Black Owned Perfume Brands. They are out there but, not enough. The industry makes it harder to enter into the class prices to the materials costs. We hope you enjoy these brands as much as we do and continue supporting them.
Update: November 25, 2022 TBS Team has updated this article to remove the brand, Nick Ricardo Collection, as the brand has unfortunately closed down after the pandemic. In this article, we have included three new brands to the list.
- Sterling Jones is the Editor in Chief of The Beauté Study, where is responsible for leading the editorial calendar and creation of online educational content across all categories, brand partnerships, VIP concierge, agency-side of business, and online classes. Sterling loves to write and create engaging content about the power of beauty, cultural trends and lifestyle brands. She founded this platform in 2017 and organically grown into a trusted media platform with the support of a growing population of feminine women growing and defining in their beauty epiphanies. Under her leadership, the brand has worked with other brands in partnership like Mejuri, Follain, Cocokind Skincare, Moisture Love, Rein Beauty, Proven Skincare, The Beaute Culture Conference, QCNY Luxury Spa, Merit Beauty, and more. Born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia, Sterling holds two undergraduate degrees in Art History and Business of Beauty and Fragrance, the perfect blend between cultural know-how. She can be found on all socials under @thesterlingstudy.
- BeautyDecember 1, 2023How to Develop Your Base of Beauty
- BeautyDecember 1, 2023Build Your 31 Days of Beauty
- BeautyJune 12, 2023Take Charge of Your Skin Health with JS Health Vitamins
- BeautyApril 11, 2023How the Upkeep App Founder Plans to Elevate The Medical Aesthetics Industry