Beauty is something that should be a ritualistic experience for you. I am a fan of investing first in your base: your body, skin, hair, and teeth. If you want to improve your external beauty, these are the first investments that should make. Each investment in your body, from your hair, skin, and teeth, can elevate your look for the greater. Clothing should be adornments to your base, not the centerpiece.
What does an elevated base look like?
Each portion takes time and attention to develop. Smooth skin affects how you place your makeup on your face. A healthy body affects how your clothes lay, wrap, and caress you. Whiten, straight teeth change how your face looks. A signature brow shape changes your facial expressions.
Your base should be your balance between your adornments (clothing, nails, jewelry, etc). They are the star and the signature of what you aim to represent to the world. Your adornments should compliment them to boost their potential. Hence, the ritualistic acknowledgment of your base is a symbol of worshiping the body that was given to you.
How do you worship your base?
Your base should be your BASICS first. Don’t go for the quick fixes with your bases. It takes time to understand and acknowledge what your actual base is versus what society wants your base to look like. In my 31 Days of Beauty challenge, I have previously taken the time to figure out what works best for me as a person.
It comes down to doing your skincare routine by understanding your skin type, your skin goals, and how to protect your skin from stressors. Next, it’s essential to learn how your body functions and works as an individual. Once I began to understand my fertility, I had an awareness of how my body works best with the worship I give it. Then, I approached my hair with open eyes to understand its texture, how it grows, and how it looks in its natural state. Finally, I build a relationship with my teeth and how it helps me chew the delicious food that I love. I learned how to care for them by investing in braces, flossing, and whitening as the final step.
As a reminder, your adornments, like clothing and jewelry, change with the times. It goes through seasons but, nothing beats the growth and dedication to your base. Start with the 31 Days of Beauty article to give yourself a starting point for appreciating your base.
This article was originally published on the author’s website. This article is a part of a more extensive series called “Beauty Capital Series.” This series focused on the idea of beauty capital, a term created by Sterling to showcase how the cultural studies of beauty bring out invested attention, interest, and social power through the capital of attractiveness, grooming, and self-awareness.
- Sterling Jones is the Editor in Chief of The Beauté Study, where is responsible for leading the editorial calendar and creation of online educational content across all categories, brand partnerships, VIP concierge, agency-side of business, and online classes. Sterling loves to write and create engaging content about the power of beauty, cultural trends and lifestyle brands. She founded this platform in 2017 and organically grown into a trusted media platform with the support of a growing population of feminine women growing and defining in their beauty epiphanies. Under her leadership, the brand has worked with other brands in partnership like La Mer, Bobbi Brown Cosmetics, Mejuri, Follain, Cocokind Skincare, Moisture Love, Rein Beauty, Proven Skincare, The Beaute Culture Conference, QCNY Luxury Spa, Merit Beauty, and more. Born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia, Sterling holds two undergraduate degrees in Art History and Business of Beauty and Fragrance, the perfect blend between cultural know-how. She can be found on all socials under @thesterlingstudy.
- LifestyleFebruary 9, 20243 Ways You Can Improve Your Body This Winter
- BeautyJanuary 29, 2024Sterling Jones Shares Her Best Beauty and Wellness Products of 2023
- BeautyJanuary 22, 2024How to Do My Makeup Better
- EmailsJanuary 12, 2024Step Into Alignment for the New Year | The Beauté Study | Newsletter